Friday, February 5, 2010

Want to inspire all girls to be strong, smart, and bold? Volunteer for Girls Inc.

"Dear World, It’s me, a girl who is not afraid of standing up for people and myself. I don’t care what other people think of me. I am who I want to be. I am not afraid to be different."  By Breanna (age 9, Zona del Sol Center)

If this gives you the good chills like it does me everytime I read it, then maybe you've found your volunteer niche...Girls Inc. of Santa Fe.

From Tiffani Moody
Since 1955, we have been a strong advocate for the changing needs of girls and young women in the Santa Fe community...to help girls stay in school, prepare for financial independence, avoid teen pregnancy and violence, and to interact with role models. Girls often say that their time at Girls Inc. is when they feel the safest, both physically and emotionally. Learning is supported by field trips, community projects, arts and crafts, special mentoring and other ways of experiencing the heritage, culture and diversity that make Santa Fe unique.

Our volunteering need includes:
  • Event assistance
  • Office help
  • Committee assistance
  • Program collaboration
Examples of how volunteers have worked with our girls in the past are:
  • Teaching yoga once a month as part of our Sporting Chance program
  • Planting a garden and talking about mulching techniques as part of our Operation SMART program (science, math, relevant technology)
  • Leading a workshop at our Career Day: making a short movie, digging for fossils, developing a business, etc...
We ask that all interested volunteers attend one of our 1-hour Girls Inc. Expedition Tours to learn more about what we do, how we do it, and why we do it, and to discuss with us their volunteer interests. We want to find the best fit for both you and our organization!

Please contact me...
Tiffani Moody at 505-982-2042 or tmoody@girlsincofsantafe.org. Or, visit our website at http://www.girlsincofsantafe.org/.